New MSD Changemakers Fund for projects on masculinity, gender norms and healing
Mon 29 May 2023
The Ministry of Social Development is accepting applications for the newly launched Changemakers fund. Grants up to $30,000 are available. Applications are due by 9 June 2023.
Applications open for Changemakers Fund
The Ministry of Social Development (MSD) has launched a new fund, called the Changemakers Fund. Funding is available for initiatives that promote positive forms of masculinity, challenge harmful gender and social norms, and engage men in healing.
Applications for the Changemakers Fund are due 9 June 2023.
Funding is available for individuals, groups or organisations that are leading change with men in their communities. You can apply for up to $30,000.
The MSD Changemaker Fund application form includes a list of criteria, including "Increases understanding of how gender roles, norms and structures contribute to men’s violence against women." Initiatives need to meet at least 3 criteria to be considered. The full list of criteria is:
- "Engages men in healing and change
- Tells a story of hope and change to other men
- Promotes positive forms of masculinity
- Demonstrates supportive peer relationships
- Demonstrates ways in which men can safely express themselves and grow
- Encourages fathers to be present and engaged with their children
- Gives men permission to safely share, connect and be vulnerable
- Promotes help seeking amongst men in ways that are safe and inclusive
- Offers opportunities for men to learn, practice and create safe relationships
- Increases motivation for men to question their past experiences and behaviours
- Increases community support for safe relationships and positive change
- Increases men’s support for each other to heal, change and seek help
- Increases understanding of how gender roles, norms and structures contribute to men’s violence against women"
The application form highlights that partnering with MSD is a key element.
See the application form for more details.
For questions, contact MSD Senior Advisor Alex Ness at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MSD also launched a new website, changeispossible.org.nz. It has stories and articles to explore the journey of healing and change.